Choose a Free Piano Lesson Below and Press Go

Friday, July 28, 2006

Hakka Girls

While growing up I come across many people in my life, people from different background, dialect and nationalities. One that makes a deep impression, if I may use the word loosely, is the Hakka Girls.

My paternal grandmother is a Hakka. This gives me the privilege of a close observation and understanding Hakka girls. Well, to begin with they are tough nuts and hard to crack. They can toil under tough condition and under the hot sweltering sun. Given a task, they seldom say “cannot do” and they will go all the way out to complete it. One prime example, you find, there are mostly Hakka girls working on construction sites, tin mining and toiling underneath the bright burning sun which others nationalities or dialects tend to avoid. My grandmother can stay out in the hot sun and do gardening the whole day, everyday.

Hakka girls are good looking but do not let the exterior look deceive you. Underneath the layer of good look, they are cold, cold as steel. They can be very mean, aggressive and emotionless.

While working with a few Hakka girls in my younger days, I learned more of them. They break a man’s heart without a beep. While the men cry, the girls are emotionless and would continue on with their daily routine as though nothing has happened. Yes, they are thrifty and calculative, too.

Sad to say, my grandmother makes a bad mother-in-law. It is because she is thrifty, calculative and demanding. But that does not mean she makes a bad mother or grandmother. She is protective of her children and grandchildren.

Oh, they are so manipulative. Once I was caught in one their deadly game and was nearly reprimanded for it. Part of grandmother’s genes in me saw to their trick, it managed to pull me out of the looming pitfall.

Strangely enough the male species show or display little of such characteristic. These characteristics are more prominent in the female species. This observation is prevalent among my aunties (father's sisters). In conversation with friends, Hakka friends and my Hakka sister in law they all seem to confirm my observation.

Last but not least Dad agrees me. He used to tell me there is a saying which loosely translated “When a Hakka Girl is skinned alive, they will still be up, hopping and running around.” That is how tough Hakka Girls are.

Now, excuse me while I clamber into my bunker..............as the flaks start falling around me.
Have a good weekend.


Note:
This Post is the writer personal view and observation only. It is not to be taken seriously. To my Hakka girlfriends... I love you!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

waaaa!! and I was about to stand up for my rights... LOL!! I'm half-hakka, does it mean I'm half of all that?

then... I saw your disclaimer at the bottom... ok lah, I forgive you, hahahaha!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Silent Reader said...

Thank goodness for the disclaimer, else I will forever be in the bunker. So what is the other half? Teo Chew?

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter