Choose a Free Piano Lesson Below and Press Go

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Playing the Piano

I love music and I alway wanted to play the piano but never had a chance to do it. It was partly trying to make a living and money constrainst. But since being in Down Under I get to go home on time and have some free time in the evening. So I decide to try taking up playing the piano. So I got myself a piano, a 2nd hand real McCoy. I was tossing between a digital piano and a standard but wife prefer a standard piano. She like the sound of standard piano over the digital piano.


Well, I began getting lessons to make sure I am doing it right. My piano teacher was a young man recommended by my SIL. Her son had been to him for lessons. After a few lessons with him, I find he is moody and impatient. I think basically brilliant and highly motivated people are moody and impatient. The 2nd lesson he expected me to be able to place my fingers in position and read notes and playing the piano without peeping at the keys. Whoa, he think I am "San Sin". If I peep at the keys, I kena scolding or he will show his displeasure. Pay him monies for lessons lagi kena scolding. I think I sometime a bit "seow". After the first term, I beh tahan, I quit. So I decided to teach myself. They say, you yourself is the best teacher.
But teaching yourself needs great discipline and off course, when a good show come on the telly, piano practice is all forgotten. Morever, I have this problem of putting the hands together... not praying, lah, what I mean is playing with boths hand.
You know the right hand play well alone and as soon the left come in, the right hand go crazy or the left hand just freeze. The poor brain is all so confused and I am trying to train my brain to tell the 2 hands to co-operate. Talking to a friend in KL, she said " there are some people who cannot co-ordinate the 2 hands." But since I play the guitar, I should be able to get the 2 hands to co-ordinate. "Practice, practice, practice lah", she said.
Ok, so to improve, I itchy hand went to the internet and bought myself a piano lesson course. It was on special offer with discounted price, free Gospel Keys 101 and free postage thrown in from USA for US$49.95 The course came yesterday with 300 pages workbook and 2 CDs'. I have read briefly the 1st 60 pages and was impressed with its simple explanation on sight reading, rythmn and major scales. This knowledge can be also used in my guitar playing.


I have not started on the piano because a guest is temporary living in that room where the piano is. I hope to be able to advance and play well. It is time for some disciplines and no distractions. Guess, I have to cut down watching television. Cut down blogging? No, not yet as I am still having fun.
Ok, time to get back to the books. Cheerio and wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ei great start..I have also links and products to inspire and jump-start your practice sessions, presented in no particular order and intended to be read at leisure. It's online piano course

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter