Choose a Free Piano Lesson Below and Press Go

Friday, April 25, 2008

Shantou – Getting To The Root Part 2

The first home my in-laws had was in Imbi opposite where Imbi Chapel is today before they moved to Peel Road and finally to Taman Cheras. Not long after the 2nd World War came and the Japanese invade Malaya. The family fled to Ampang from the invading army. After things calm down, my FIL tried to salvage the business but it was fruitless. Things were hard with 6 children but with perseverance and help the family pulled through. My MIL’s only brother was taken away by Japanese and never heard of again.

After the war my FIL started up the business again with a partner and things began to look good. One day his step brother came from Singapore and told him a sad story. He told my FIL he is about to lose the shop where his business is because the owner is selling off the land. My kind hearted FIL decided to buy the piece of land and gave him the money to purchase the land under my FIL’s name. Some months later my FIL having not from him became concern and made a trip to Singapore. He discovered there were no shop and no land. His step brother had squandered the money. He was furious and never spoke to him again.

Compounding to the problem, his suppliers were chasing for payments. He was to find out his partner was not paying the suppliers and was taking money out of the business. Confronting his partner, he discovered he was gambling the company’s money away and have incurred a large debt. Sadly the business had to fold.

One of his suppliers hearing his problem and offered him a job and having no choice he took the job. My eldest brother in law left school early to work and help support the family. As things were beginning to settle down, my FIL was feeling unwell. Doctor diagnosed he was suffering from nose cancer and it was not good. Seeking permission from the government, he left for China for treatment.

L to R: The street leading to my FIL's house, a typical Chinese home front door, a house in my FIL's village

L to R: The place where my FIL's mum washes clothes by the river, the entrance leading to my FIL' village, the Phua's Clan community hall

During his stay in China, he saw the persecution of the Chinese people by its own people. There were starvation, hardship and the ruthlessness of the Red Guards. Unable to stomach the devastation, he came back. Sadly not long after he passed away.

In spite of the unfortunate circumstances, my MIL made every effort to send money, clothes, medicine and food to her younger sister and sister in law in China. We never knew how this small sacrifice and gesture had made a big impact to the lives of the families in China. The little sacrifice my MIL made help the families tide through the hardship, the cold, the starvation and made a big difference to their lives.

My MIL went back to China after Mao’s death and when China was more relaxed under Deng Xiaoping. She went back alone and managed to find her way back to her hometown.

L to R: Entrance to my MIL's family home, the street to my MIL's family home, my BIL with my MIL's cousin presently living in her family home.

L to R: My MIL's room (as store room), the outer courtyard of my MIL's family home, the shop of my MIL's parents

L to R: my MIL's family community hall where they were educated, the Kwek's Clan community hall, a few of my MIL's ancestors who held high posts in the government

It was here she learned that property owners can reclaim their properties back which were confiscated by the Red Guard during the Cultural Revolution. My MIL and her sister began the process to claim back her home and land which my FIL bought. Sadly she passed away not long after that. Her younger sister continued to pursue the claim and was successful. With the permission from my Eldest brother in law, the land was developed by a developer and in return the family got a block of six floored flat. During those days, you would be considered well off owning a property of this size. The aunty, her husband and her three children lived in 4 of the flat and the remaining 2 was for my MIL. I am not sure if the remaining 2 floor were rented out or remain vacant. Because of China's law the ownership cannot be in foreign citizen name, it remains in my wife’s Aunty name.

L to R: The family flat, entrance to the family flat, my eldest BIL, Aunty and youngest SIL

Few years ago, some of my brother in law and sister in law went back to China for holiday and looked up the Aunty. The Aunty asked to see the remaining sibling. It was this simple request, the remaining few sibling made this trip. The Aunty told us stories of the family, the suffering and my MIL love for their family, how the simple gesture my MIL sent helped them survived the years of hardship under Mao and the Gang of Four. Her family cannot thank my wife side of the family enough for all the sacrifices they gave in spite of the hardship they faced in KL. More ever, they are thankful for the home where they lived today.

Though we were there 2 days and 3 night, I don't think I saw enough of Shantou. It is a growing city with modern buildings but there is the older side of the city and this is the part I like to explore and see how the people live, the rustic old buildings, the smell and taste of more local food. Yes, I do not mind visiting & exploring Shantou again.

L to R: Painting by the renown artist, Cu Peng, in the family, tool of the trade, the artist showing his painting to the family


Food, glorious food, Teow Chew Food

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter